Crystal clear win for Waterford over Doolans! Munster Junior Cup Quarter Final Match Report

?  ? Finbarr Buckley

Munster Junior Cup Quarter- Final

Doolan’s Cow 2 – 4 Waterford Crystal

WATERFORD CRYSTAL travelled to Cork last Sunday afternoon to take on Cork Business League representatives Doolan’s Cow at Mayfield Sports Complex for a place in next Sunday afternoon’s semi-final showdown with Limerick’s Fairview Rangers at Jackman Park, writes Finbarr Buckley.

The teams were originally meant to meet back in mid-March but the cessation of all fixtures due to Covid-19 delayed the contest but credit must be given to both teams for producing a gripping encounter in what was both team’s first competitive action in nearly four months.

The visitors were quick to settle on the all-weather surface and went in front after five minutes. Jake Mooney released Aidan Treacy down the left, the striker’s shot hitting the hand of Stephen McCarthy as he turned to brace for the impact. Referee Grahame Duffy had no hesitation in pointing to the spot before Nathan Phelan sent James Murphy the wrong way from the resultant penalty. The home side, who had yet to settle,  were dealt a further blow in the 19th minute when Jason Phelan’s cross picked out Treacy who clinically beat Murphy from close range.

Doolan’s pulled a goal back through Tony O’Reilly against the run of play in the 28th minute and incredibly drew level inside a minute when Crystal’s defence was caught by the quick thinking Jamie Murphy who squeezed his shot beyond the unsighted Dean Purcell for 2-2. Johnny Gleeson’s charges recovered their composure to go in front again four minutes later following another raid down the left by Mooney whose cross picked out Andrew Power who headed on for Shane Rochford to fire past Murphy.

The limited attendance were eagerly awaiting another entertaining second 45 and weren’t disappointed as Doolan’s threw everything at their opponents who weathered the storm which was made more difficult after Nathan Phelan was sent off for a second yellow card offence for protesting following a coming together after Purcell inadvertently carried the ball outside the area when attempting to get possession. Murphy’s resultant free cannoned off the wall to safety but within minutes Aaron Hennessy who picked out O’Reilly who was in on goal only to be denied by a very good stop by Purcell at his near post.

Rochford penalized the host’s stretched back-four with twenty-four minutes remaining when he crept in unmarked to net the decisive fourth and end Doolan’s hopes of a first semi-final appearance in the club’s short thirteen-year existence. Central defender Craig Keegan, Hennessy and O’Reilly impressed for Doolan’s with Michael Casey,  Jake Mooney sand man-of-the-match Andrew Power starring for Waterford Crystal.

A delighted Johnny Gleeson commented afterwards, ‘ We knew we were going to be up against it today. But, all credit to the lads for hanging in there when we went down to ten .’ His opposite number Wayne Kavanagh was disappointed but upbeat, ‘ I thought the penalty wasn’t a penalty but that’s the way it goes.  Both teams put everything in and when you consider both hadn’t played competitively for four months, the pace and skill on view were electric at times.’

Doolan’s Cow: James Murphy: Stephen O’Leary (Stephen McCarthy), Ian McCarthy (Alan Monaher); Keith McCarthy, Craig Keegan; Darren Geraghty (capt.) (Sean O’Sullivan), Aaron Hennessy, Liam Horgan (James O’Shea), Tony O’Reilly, James Cotter, Jamie Murphy.

Waterford Crystal: Dean Purcell: Eoghan Rea, Jason Phelan; Michael Casey (Aidan Holden), Nathan Phelan; Barry Ryan (capt.) (Samuel Hudson Hamm), Jake Mooney (Ian Barry), Michael Hearne, Andrew Power; Aidan Treacy, Shane Rochford (Colm Clancy).

Referee: Grahame Duffy. Assists.: Yves Kriwan and Darren O’Sullivan.